4.01.2006

A Seasonal Gripe

I understand that the first few nice days here in Boston are to be cherished. They mark a yearly renaissance, when all the things that Bostonians thought they had forgotten how to do--smile, go outside, be nice to other people--are rediscovered and celebrated. But why, oh why, does everybody and their mother (and their waddling, frappuccino-craving spawn) have to go to Starbucks the instant the grey wintry clouds vanish from the skies? It's Starbucks, for chrissakes! I'll never get how this store can inspire the kind of loyalty I see every day. And yes, I know that I make the best damn espresso-based beverages in Boston. Of course I know, I'm the one who makes them so good. But honestly people, Diesel Cafe has excellent sandwiches, great coffee, more seating, and real ice cream, that they'll put right in your coffee! And it's right across the street. Listen, I know what goes into frappuccinos, and it sure as hell isn't ice cream.

No comments: