11.14.2006

holy hostility, batman!

that last post was full of bitter invective, which is not my usual style, i swear. i don't even really mind working at starbucks so much this time (unlike before, when going to work was like walking through acid in flip-flops). the kids who work there are awesome, i get to basically say and do whatever i want, and my bosses are just glad to have me back!

still, most customers are vacuous and forgettable and i long for intellectual stimulation that can't be found in retail. questions like "do you have a restroom?" and "where are the straws?" don't quite get my motor running. luckily, the current crew at my store is very much in the too-smart-for-retail-but-saddled-with-an-unmarketable-degree mold, to which i proudly belong, and which i vastly prefer to either the dumb-enough-for-retail or the i-will-make-starbucks-my-god-and-sacrifice-fun-to-its-insatiable-otherworldly-hunger varieties.

speaking of stimulation, last week i came in at the end of the night to help my bosses roll out the holiday decorations for the store (a hugely ridiculous process, but $$$ talks as usual) and it happened to take place on the new (to me) open mic night at the store! this was my first time (which, unlike in some clubs, did not mean that i had to participate. lucky them) though i'd been warned by a coworker to expect the worst. and, as much as i think people with talent should devote themselves to cultivating it and enriching their lives and the lives of those around them, i just couldn't fucking stop laughing. oh god, the earnestness! that night, i glimpsed a world without irony, and it was goddamn hilarious!

p.s. i'm cracking up just thinking about it!

3 comments:

thejoe said...

You should see my job. I spent all afternoon yesterday soldering resistors and crimping cable for a test bed we're developing...then spent until 7pm working on problem sets with a fellow new hire for a class they're making us take.

I was getting upset about it all, then I realized I love being in the lab soldering and assembling things, and doing homework is much better when they're paying you a shit-ton of money to do it. Really takes the edge off, you see.

Just Getting By... said...

Infact, my job has nothing to do with brewing, beans or baristas. The closest I've ever come is being covered up to my elbows in coffee ice cream.

Maybe you need to rethink that whole "keen observer" thing.

girl. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.