11.09.2005

...And in Somerville

Mayor Curtatone ran unopposed...and won! I really have no idea if this is good for the city or not, as I only started paying attention to local politics about five minutes ago. I do know that he's not as much fun to talk about as Dorothy A. Kelly-Gay, our previous mayor, but that really doesn't help me evaluate his civic policies. With that said, I have lived in Somerville for the entirety of Mayor Curtatone's first term and I haven't really noticed anything bad happening. The buses were on time for the most part. No riots (except for that pesky World Series thing). Somerville Cable Access sailed along peacefully. Oh yeah, and PJ Ryan's is open until 2 AM! I'm calling this a win for Somerville! Maybe Smokin' Joey C. needs an aide...

The four alderman-at-large seats were won by Desmond, Sullivan, Provost, and White, all of them incumbents. These guys are like Somerville's Senate, they represent the entire town.

The seven alderman seats are the city's representatives and each is responsible for one of the city's wards. The incumbents won every ward except for ward six, where Connolly lost to Gewirtz. Again, as with the Mayor, I have no idea if these results are good or bad for Somerville, so maybe I'll pay attention this time around (though probably not). Here's the breakdown:
Ward 1: Roche
Ward 2: Heuston
Ward 3: Taylor
Ward 4: Pero
Ward 5 (my ward!): O'Donovan
Ward 6: Gewirtz
Ward 7: Trane

And there you have it, a list of people I know nothing about and most people probably care next to nothing about. Tune in next year for elections that really matter (none of them take place in Somerville)!

P.S. Oh yeah, and Menino got re-elected too. And Youn got on the Boston city council. Yay diversity!

No comments: